Saturday, May 1, 2010

Quesadilla Chicken






I originally found this recipe in my new Taste of Home magazine. The recipe is for Chicken Kiev. I renamed this recipe after making some changes and my husband telling me that it tastes like a chicken quesadilla. Below you will find the original recipe. I've written the changes I made in italics.


6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.


Ingredients
1 cup miniature cheese crackers, crushed (I used Cheez-Its)
1-1/2 teaspoons taco seasoning
5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided (Omitted/ Used Egg Beaters)
3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies (Used El Pinto Green Chili)
2 teaspoons dried minced onion (omitted)
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)


Directions
In a shallow bowl, combine cracker crumbs and taco seasoning; set aside. In another bowl, combine 3 tablespoons butter, cheese, chilies, onion and salt. Shape mixture into six balls.
Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Place a butter ball in the center of each. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. In a shallow microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining butter. Dip chicken in butter, then coat evenly with cracker mixture.
Place seam side down in a greased shallow round 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 12-14 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 170°. Discard toothpicks.


CHANGES: I decided to omit the butter to lessen the fat content. I combined cheese, chili, and salt in a bowl and set aside. After chicken was flattened, I scooped some of the mixture into the center of the chicken. I then folded it over and secured it with toothpicks. Instead of dipping chicken in butter, I used Egg Beaters to coat the chicken before coating with cracker mixture. Instead of using the microwave, I baked the chicken for 35 minutes at 350.


Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 183 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 511 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 8 g protein.


**I served taco seasoned red potatoes with a sour cream and chive dip with this chicken dish. Take 6 small red potatoes (cubed), one tablespoon of olive oil, and half a packet of taco seasoning. Put all ingredients in a large plastic bag and mix together. Place an even layer on a cookie sheet and bake along side the chicken.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished