Thursday, July 29, 2010

Summer Squash Casserole


This fabulous recipe came from Southern Living magazine. This summer I've been on a squash and zucchini kick (it's always on sale at Publix). I couldn't wait to try this after I found it and it was just as good as I imagined. I cut the recipe in half, since it was just the two of us. There isn't anything I changed in the recipe, but I used egg beaters, margarine, reduced fat cheese, light mayo and Panko crumbs to make it a bit healthier. I'm eating the leftovers as I type, it was that good!

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Other: 30 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
Ingredients
2 1/2 pounds yellow squash, sliced
3/4 cup chopped green onions
1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (10-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup soft, fresh breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Preparation
1. Combine squash and green onions in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, folding back a small edge to allow steam to escape. Microwave at HIGH 8 minutes or until squash is tender. (Do not drain.)

2. Whisk together mayonnaise and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in squash mixture and cheese. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish; cover tightly with plastic wrap, folding back a small edge to allow steam to escape. Microwave at HIGH 10 minutes or until casserole is set; remove from microwave, and let stand 10 minutes.

3. Stir together breadcrumbs and melted butter; microwave 2 minutes. Sprinkle over casserole.

1 comment :

  1. LOVE your blog, Leah! Try this awesome summer squash soup recipe- I just made it last week and it was awesome!

    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1809036

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished