Saturday, October 9, 2010

Monster Chip Cookies


When cleaning out my craft room, I came across a Taste of Home Halloween magazine from 2004. I'm pretty sure it was one my grandma saved for me and knew it would come in handy one day. Well, that it did...there are tons of recipes I can't wait to try from this issue. The first one was these cookies. The cookies were tasty, but I didn't have time to refrigerate my dough overnight and they turned out pretty flat. I decided not to make "monster" cookies, so I cut the recipe in half. Therefore, the suggested cooking time was off for me. 10 minutes was perfect for slightly brown cookies-I found that out on my third batch in the oven =-(. I'd give this cookie recipe a 7 out of 10.

Monster Chip Cookies

Ingredients
1 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1-1/3 cups sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
4 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups chopped nuts
Directions
In a large bowl, cream shortening, butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla and lemon juice. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chips and nuts. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 3 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until lightly browned and center is set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 3 dozen.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished