Pumpkin time is here and I couldn't be more thrilled. Expect to see lots of pumpkin posts around here in the coming months. I started out the pumpkin making season with this recipe for Pumpkin Coffee Cake. I've never made a coffee cake using a cake mix. It was definitely easier to make but I could tell the difference in the taste and texture. While this isn't my favorite pumpkin recipe, I still wanted to share it. I was looking more for a breakfast item and to me it was more of a dessert. If I make it again, I will add walnuts or pecans and more spices. If you make it, let me know what you think!
Recipe Courtesy of Pretty Good Food
⅓ cups Water
1 can Pureed Pumpkin (15 Oz)
2 whole Eggs
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 box Yellow Cake Mix (18 Ounce Box)
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 cup Brown Sugar, Divided
½ cups Flour
4 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
¼ cups Granulated Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
¼ cups Heavy Whipping Cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2.In a large bowl mix together the water, pumpkin, eggs, 1 Tablespoon of vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice until well combined. Add the cake mix and baking soda and mix until just combined.
3. Grease a 9×13 pan with butter and pour batter into pan.
4. In a small bowl mix together 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour and melted butter. Use your fingers to sprinkle over the top of the cake. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
5. For the glaze, combine the other 1/2 cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and heavy cream in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir until all sugar is dissolved.
6. When cake is finished baking, poke holes in the top with a toothpick. Pour glaze over the cake, making sure to cover all surfaces. Serve cake warm or at room temperature.