Thursday, March 28, 2013

Red Velvet Fudge Brownies

Last weekend, we hosted a couples game night at our house.  We asked all of the guests to bring a dish and their drink of choice.  With a baby and with work being really busy, I didn't have time to plan a typical over the top party that I usually throw. I decided to "sign-up" for dessert.  Desserts are always my choice because they are simple and usually a favorite.  I had already made regular brownies and rice krispie treats but needed one more dessert for my 3-tier serving dish.  When I realized this, it was only 3 hours away from party time.  I knew I had tons of red velvet cake mixes in the pantry, so I searched for a recipe I could make with it.  I didn't want a cupcake or cake, so I decided on brownies! 

Results:  I liked these, didn't love them.  I thought they were a bit cake like.  But, hubs LOVED them.  And a lot of the guests at the party said they were good.  Hubs did tell me that the chocolate chips made it.  He said he had one without a lot of chocolate chips and it was so so, but the one he had with loads of chips was amazing.  Next time I make them, I'll add more chips.  Another variation which would put these over the top is adding cream cheese icing! The recipe does have icing with it, but I left it out because I wanted to stack the brownies on a plate.  Enjoy!

Red Velvet Fudge Brownies
Courtesy of Duncan Hines 

Description:

Brownies.

Ingredients

  • 1 Duncan Hines box Red Velvet cake mix
  • 3/4 cup butter, after melted
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 cups walnuts, chopped (optional)

Marble Frosting:

  • 8 oz. butter cream frosting
  • 4 oz. triple chocolate frosting

Baking Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Combine egg, butter, water in a bowl. Add box mix, stir until the ingredients are combined, and lumps are gone.
  3. Add chips and 1 cup of nuts, and pour mixture into the greased 9x13-inch baking pan.
  4. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes and place the cake on wire cooling rack.
  5. Frost brownie with butter cream frosting. Heat or microwave chocolate frosting for easy pouring. Pour 2 oz. chocolate frosting over butter cream layer.
  6. Use a fork to blend two frostings for a marbled appearance, to desired pattern. Sprinkle brownie with remaining nuts.
  7. Drizzle remaining chocolate frosting over the butter cream.
  8. Put the brownie in the freezer to cool. Allow 10 minutes, cut and serve.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished