Monday, May 10, 2010

Coconut Crunch Cookies


I love, love, LOVE coconut! When I came across this recipe, I couldn't wait to make it. Best thing was, I had all the ingredients in my kitchen. Thankfully Mother's Day was just around the corner and I was having a party in my classroom, which gave me a perfect opportunity to bake. I made these for the parents, but to my surprise, my students loved them. I thought this recipe was simple to make and the cookies made it to my top 10 list. I didn't make any changes to the recipe, but I did allow the cookies to cool for an hour in the fridge. In order to get a perfectly round cookie, I used a melon scoop. The cookies were a perfect pop in your mouth size. Enjoy!

Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups flaked coconut
1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups finely chopped almonds

Directions
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the coconut, chocolate chips and almonds.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.

Nutrition Facts: 1 cookie equals 138 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 94 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished