Thursday, July 1, 2010

Meatball Sub Casserole



I have to say, this photo doesn't do this recipe justice. I made this recipe for Father's Day dinner this past weekend. I wanted a casserole, but didn't want the traditional pasta that our family usually has. I thought this would be the perfect recipe. The recipe serves 6. I used a 9x13 casserole dish and it ended up being the perfect amount of food. I omitted the onions, and used garlic salt instead of garlic because my mom doesn't like garlic. I think next time, I would cut the bread into cubes to cover the entire casserole dish and make it easier for serving. Enjoy!

Ingredients
1/3 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
3 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound lean ground beef ( I used ground turkey)
1 Loaf French bread baguette cut into 1 inch slices
1 pkg. cream cheese, softened (8 oz)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1 jar spaghetti sauce (28 oz)
1 cup water (I used 1/2 cup)
2 garlic cloves, minced

Directions
In a small bowl, combine the onion, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Add beef and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls; place on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink; drain.
Meanwhile, arrange bread in a single layer in an ungreased 9 x 13 casserole dish. Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, Italian seasoning and pepper; spread over bread. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese.
In a bowl, combine the spaghetti sauce, water and garlic; add meatballs. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 3 servings.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished