I love cooking with squash and zucchini over the summer. I found this recipe in Cooking Light. I had most of the ingredients and changed the things I was missing. This recipe was created as a vegetarian recipe but I decided to add some meat for a hearty dinner. I noted all of the changes I made in red below. We loved the end result. Enjoy!
Adapted from Cooking Light
- 6 ounces uncooked penne (about 1/2 a box)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow squash
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan. Add squash, zucchini,
and onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add tomato and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in pasta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- 4. Brown ground turkey (season with salt and pepper). Add to pasta mixture.
- 5. Combine ricotta, remaining salt, and egg. Stir into pasta mixture. Spoon into an 9x12 rectangular glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until bubbly and browned.
- 6. Sprinkle with garlic salt and let cool for a few minutes. Serve and Enjoy!