Monday, July 8, 2013

Spiced Pork Chops with Apple Chutney


Before the days of Pinterest, I used to subscribe to lots of cooking magazines.  I would look forward to them arriving each month.  Once they did I would spend mornings flipping through the pages, ripping out recipes, all while enjoying my morning coffee.  Of course those were the days before motherhood as well.  Now, I pull up my computer sometimes just minutes before dinner hoping I have the ingredients for a somewhat decent meal.  

Last weekend, I decided to pull out the recipe binder I created with all the recipes I had ripped out from years past.  Hubs was home, the baby was napping and I was enjoying my coffee.  I was determined to not only meal plan for the week but plan some healthy yet delicious meals.  This recipe was one of the first I ripped out.  Hubs loves apples with pork chops, I knew he would love this recipe.  

Results:  Amazing.  Absolutely delicious.  Not hard to make.  The tartness of the cranberries paired with the sweetness of the apples made the perfect topping for the pork.  The only change made to the recipe was an addition of 2 teaspoons of cinnamon to the apple cranberry topping.  We had leftover pork and topping so the next night we made sandwiches with it.  We blended the apple cranberry topping in the Magic Bullet to create a spread.  We put it on top of the pork on a roll, hubs also added cheese to his.  It was a sandwich that reminded me of Thanksgiving.  I have a feelings hubs will be asking for this meal again very soon!




Spiced Pork Chops with Apple Chutney 
Courtesy of Cooking Light 

Ingredients

Chutney:
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 5 cups (1/4-inch) cubed peeled apple (about 3 apples)
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/8 teaspoon all spice 












  • Pork:
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut pork loin chops, trimmed
  • Cooking spray 

Preparation

1. To prepare chutney, melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apple; sauté 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add cranberries and the next 6 ingredients (through allspice); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until apples are tender; stir occasionally.
2. To prepare pork, while chutney simmers, heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Combine chipotle and next 4 ingredients (through black pepper); sprinkle over pork. Coat grill pan with cooking spray. Add pork to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Serve with chutney.

Slender haricots verts are a pretty and quick-cooking complement to the meal. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 12 ounces haricots verts to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves; cook 5 minutes or until garlic is lightly browned.







No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished