Friday, October 4, 2013

German Chocolate Baked Donuts

Saturday morning donut dates are something I look forward to each week.  

Last month my family moved from FL to TX.  
We went from having a Dunkin Donuts on every corner to having 3 in our city.  
Closest one to us is 20 minutes away. 

So I went out and bought a donut pan, similar to this one.  
I decided if we couldn't go out for donuts, we would make them at home.  
It would become a little tradition of ours.  
It's much cheaper than our weekend trips to Dunkin Donuts and also a {bit} healthier.  

The first week we made them, I made pumpkin donuts.  They were good, little one and I loved them. 
Hubs wasn't a huge fan.  He doesn't share the same love for pumpkin that I do.  
Last weekend, I let the husband choose the kind he wanted.  
He picked chocolate and chocolate is what he got!

I love making donuts now.  Even my one year old loves them.  
I use the spice cake mix with a can of pumpkin for hers.  
It's fun to make different kinds each weekend, while in pajamas enjoying coffee as the little one tears up the house.  It's our new Saturday tradition, one that I hope is around for many years to come.  

Enjoy! 


German Chocolate Baked Donuts
Adapted from Duncan Hines 

Ingredients:
1 box of german chocolate cake mix (or any cake mix)
1 cup of milk (I used almond milk)
2 large eggs
1 stick of butter (melted) 
1 can of frosting (I used chocolate)

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350. Grease donut pan.  
Mix eggs, butter, milk and cake mix.  
Stir until smooth. 
Pour batter into donut pan (1/3 filled). 
Bake 11-13 minutes.  

Let them cool completely.  
Put about half of the container of frosting in a microwavable bowl. 
Microwave for about 20 seconds and stir.  Repeat until the frosting is melted enough for you to easily dip and coat the donuts.  
I dipped them upside down, put them on a cooling rack, coated with sprinkles and let them cool a bit.  

Store in an air tight container for 3 days.  I also froze the leftover donuts in a freezer bag.  


1 comment :

  1. These look delicious. I used to have doubts about donut pan. Now I think I want one too!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished