This week I was determined to cook every night. No more eating out for this family! I went directly to my Recipe Pinterest board and started meal planning again. This is one of the first recipes I added to my list. It looked like one that would please the entire family.
Results: I made a few minor changes to lighten up the recipe from the original. I also omitted the green onions because hubs doesn't like them. Other than that, I followed the directions and this meal was a hit. Hubs said I could make it every week and he wouldn't complain. From him, that is a big compliment and an even bigger thumbs up! Enjoy.
Baked Potato Chicken Casserole
Adapted from First Yum
- 3 - 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1/3 cup bacon bits (or cooked diced bacon)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9" x 9" casserole dish
- Spread half of the potatoes in the bottom of the dish. Top with all of the chicken. Season it with salt and pepper.
- On top of the chicken, sprinkle with half the bacon bits and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- On top of the cheese, spread the remainder of the potatoes followed by the bacon bits and another 1/2 cup of cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour the chicken stock over the casserole. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. After the hour us up, uncover it and bake for another 30 minutes. In the last 5 minutes of backing, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake until the cheese is completely melted.