Thursday, April 17, 2014

Baked Potato Chicken Casserole


This week I was determined to cook every night. No more eating out for this family! I went directly to my Recipe Pinterest board and started meal planning again. This is one of the first recipes I added to my list.  It looked like one that would please the entire family. 

Results:  I made a few minor changes to lighten up the recipe from the original. I also omitted the green onions because hubs doesn't like them. Other than that, I followed the directions and this meal was a hit. Hubs said I could make it every week and he wouldn't complain. From him, that is a big compliment and an even bigger thumbs up! Enjoy.

Baked Potato Chicken Casserole

Adapted from First Yum

Ingredients

  • 3 - 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
  • 1/3 cup bacon bits (or cooked diced bacon)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • salt and pepper to taste 
  • serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired 
Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9" x 9" casserole dish
  2. Spread half of the potatoes in the bottom of the dish. Top with all of the chicken. Season it with salt and pepper. 
  3. On top of the chicken, sprinkle with half the bacon bits and 1/2 cup of the cheese. 
  4. On top of the cheese, spread the remainder of the potatoes followed by the bacon bits and another 1/2 cup of cheese.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 
  5. Pour the chicken stock over the casserole. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. After the hour us up, uncover it and bake for another 30 minutes. In the last 5 minutes of backing, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake until the cheese is completely melted.  

3 comments :

  1. This looks delish!! I've got to get back into cooking too. Since being Preggo I've had zero desire to cook and I normally am in the kitchen 5-6 nights a week! Def going to meal plan next week and add this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, Found you via Pinterest. This has become a weekly meal in our house. thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished