It had been a few months since we made baked donuts for breakfast. Hubs has been on a pancake kick lately, which is fine by me. For Father's Day I decided to take back the kitchen and make these donuts, along with eggs and bacon. Usually when I make donuts, I use a cake mix with a few added ingredients. While these took longer to make, they were much better than any of the cake mix baked donut recipes we've tried. They weren't as dense as cake mix donuts, much easier to handle and eat. I also loved that it only made 6 donuts. I have a tendency to make an entire batch with the cake mix recipes and the extras end up sitting in the freezer until they're thrown out.
Hubs and the little one both ate their fair share. It's safe to say this recipe will be around for a while!
Cinnamon Bun Baked Donuts
Adapted from Averie Cooks
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons almond milk
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 tub of cream cheese icing plus an additional few dashes of cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 325 and lightly grease donut pan. I use coconut oil spray.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add milk, egg, vanilla and melted butter. Mix to combine.
- Using a quart or gallon size plastic bag with a corner cut off, pipe the batter into a 6-donut pan. After attempting many other ways of doing this, this is the easiest I've found. You could also use a pastry bag if you prefer, I like the clean up with the plastic bags better.
- Bake 8 to 11 minutes, or until doughnuts spring back when touched, indicating they're set. Allow to cool for a few minutes before you remove them to a cooling rack.
- Make the glaze by melting the cream cheese icing for 10-20 seconds in a microwave safe dish. Mix it to get a smooth consistency. I added a dash of cinnamon to the mixture before dipping. I also use a low bowl, which makes it easier for dipping the donuts.
- Dip the donuts into the glaze once they've cooled. Immediately top with sprinkles if desired.