Saturday, May 19, 2012

Poke Cupcakes

I made these cupcakes about a week ago for a classroom celebration.  I thought they would be a fun treat for my students.  I've never made a poke cake before, but supposedly this is very similar.  I already had strawberry cake mix at home, so I decided to pair that with strawberry jello.  I loved this combination and so did my students.  The original recipe called for a cool whip frosting, but I just used store bought vanilla.  
Be prepared for a sticky pan and cupcake liner if you use one.  The gelatin will seep through but after some time in the fridge, it will dry.  I also didn't use all the gelatin because it looked like a lot, but next time I will use more.  There weren't enough of the lines seeping through when I cut them open.  I will most definitely make these again and will try out a few different cake/ jello combinations as well. 
Enjoy! 


Poke Cupcakes
Adapted from The Country Cook 


Ingredients:
1 box Strawberry Cake Mix
(Ingredients required to make cake; usually egg whites, water and oil)
1 box strawberry gelatin
1 cup boiled water
1 container of Vanilla Frosting

Directions:
Mix cupcakes as directed on the back of the box and bake as directed.
Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
Boil 1 cup water and add jello, stir until completely dissolved.
 Poke holes in cupcakes with fork or toothpick. Don't be afraid to pick right down in there several times. 
You want plenty of holes for the jell-o to seep into.
Using a spoon, pour strawberry gelatin mixture over cupcake.
They are still a little naked. Now they need to go into the fridge for about 2-3 hours to set.
Once set, frost cupcakes using whipped frosting. 
And if you like, top it off with fresh, sliced strawberries and enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished