Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pretzel Chicken

I will warn you, if you're looking for a healthy recipe you have not found it here.  When I first added this recipe to my menu for the week I didn't know it was fried.  I actually didn't realize it until we had all the ingredients out and were getting ready to cook.  So we went with it. Hubs did the chicken and I made the sauce which was really easy.  Of course it was delicious, what fried chicken isn't?  The sauce was the perfect touch to top the chicken off.  Enjoy!



                                                       

                                        Pretzel Chicken with a Mustard-Cheddar  Sauce
                                                        
  Courtesy of Taste and Tell 

total time:  about 30 minutes
serves 4
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
about 6 ounces of salted pretzels
salt and pepper
2 eggs
vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon spicy mustard
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

Completely butterfly each of the chicken breasts, making a total of 4 thin chicken breasts. One by one, put the chicken breast in between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and flatten slightly with a mallet.
Put the pretzels in a food processor and process until you have fine crumbs. Put the crumbs in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. In another shallow dish, beat the eggs.
In a large saute pan over medium heat, heat up the oil, about 1/8″ deep.
Dip each chicken piece into the pretzels, then into the eggs, then back into the pretzels. Add to the hot oil in the pan. Put the chicken into the hot oil and cook until the pretzels are browned and the chicken is cooked through. This only takes about 3 or 4 minutes on each side.
Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and the mustard, and cook until slightly thickened. Stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
Serve the chicken with the Mustard-Cheddar Sauce, and sprinkle a generous amount of parsley on top.


28 comments :

  1. This looks amazing!! I have a yearly bucket list and on 2013's list is to cook/bake one new thing each month and I would like to make this and link up to your blog for the recipe. Would that be ok?

    Gina

    http://itypecrazyfast.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this via pinterest and can't wait to try it! I'm sure it could be baked or sauteed rather than fried to make it a little healthier... but then again, a little splurge on friend chicken is okay once in awhile, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and by friend chicken, I mean "fried," of course. ;-) Long day!!

      Delete
  3. This was wonderful! I did add some extra spicy mustard to the sauce, originally I couldn't taste it in there, so I just made sure I could!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wondering if I could bake this -- 350 Degree.... maybe about about 20 minutes...
    Maybe I could pan-fry this to get the coating & then bake it the rest of the way for about 15 minutes..
    Definitely worth the try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this last night, baked at 350 for 20 minutes and it was fabulous!!! Next time I think i'll bake for 15 min and finish under the broiler. This is a keeper! I served it with steamed cauliflower so the kids could have the cheese sauce on that too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. im making it as we speak..mmmm looks yummy already

    ReplyDelete
  7. must try! Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious!! Definitely going on my list of recipes to try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting. Was the sauce OK? Usually they say you shouldn't use shredded cheeses for making sauces because they do something to shredded cheese that makes it not melt as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used shredded cheese and it would not melt. It was very lumpy. It tasted great though!

      Delete
    2. If you shred it yourself it will melt better. I think pre shredded has an agent added to prevent it from sticking together.

      Delete
  10. I've had this pinned for a while and finally decided to make it. It was so easy and tasted fantastic!! My husband loved it. The cheese sauce was mild and a perfect addition to the chicken. We'll be making this again :) Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is going into the regular monthly rotation. Its really good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i made a mixture of mayo and honey mustard and coated the chicken then coated with the pretzels and baked it. turned out yummy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just made this... sooo good! I wouldn't change a thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Found this recipe on Pinterest tonight while I was searching for something to make using the bag of Snyder's Bacon & Cheddar Pretzel bites that I bought. It was FANTASTIC! The only thing different I did was brown the breaded chicken on the stovetop first, then baked in oven at 350 for 1/2 hour since my breasts were quite thick, and I didn't want to butterfly them! I will most definitely make this recipe again! YUM!! LOVED the mustard cheese sauce too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have made this several times over the past 14 months since I found it. My husband repeatedly asks for it. When I first made it, I thought the amount of mustard would be too much and overpower the sauce, but its just right and well-balanced. This is delicious and I highly recommend!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished