Monday, June 14, 2010

Chicken with Cucumber Melon Salsa


It's summertime! One of the great things about being a teacher is that I am off for the summer!! That means more time to spend on searching for recipes and cooking them up in my kitchen. This is my first summer recipe. I omitted the onions and jalapeno pepper. I substituted the agave nectar with a touch of honey. The original recipe is for grilled chicken, but I am not a grill master so I baked the chicken. Next time, I will make the salsa before and use some of the extra juices as a marinade for the chicken. Two words to describe the recipe was light and fresh. This recipe received a 7 out of 10 from my hubby (he's not a big mint fan). ENJOY!
Grilled Chicken with Cucumber Melon Salsa
Ingredients
1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed honeydew melon
1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed cantaloupe
1/2 cup diced peeled English cucumber
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced jalapeño pepper
1 teaspoon light agave nectar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
6 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
Cooking spray
Mint sprigs (optional)
Preparation
1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.

2. Combine first 10 ingredients; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, tossing well to combine.

3. Sprinkle chicken evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Coat chicken with cooking spray. Place chicken on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until done. Serve with salsa; garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.

2 comments :

Blog Design by Get Polished