Monday, August 9, 2010

Cheeseburger Balls


Birthday Recipe #4: I wanted finger foods for the party, so I thought these would be perfect. I have to admit, these were made by my husband. When I looked at the recipe originally, I only looked at the ingredients. I thought, not to many ingredients, nothing out of the ordinary so on the list it went. Well, I guess I should have looked at how to make the recipe, aka the directions. Because, if it's too complicated (not "simply made")...it's not for me. Now, this recipe wasn't too bad. On a normal day, I could have pulled it off. But, on the afternoon (5pm) of a 7pm party...I wasn't having it. So, being the wonderful husband he is, Derek offered agreed to make them. Instead of frying them, we baked them at 350 for 45 minutes. Next time, I would only put them in for 35-40 minutes. Also, I would make the saltine cracker crumbs much finer next time. Oh yeah, we didn't use bacon in them. They were good enough without.

Ingredients
1 egg
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

COATING:
2 eggs
1 cup crushed saltines (about 30 crackers)
5 tablespoons canola oil

Directions
In a large bowl, combine egg and soup mix. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Divide into 36 portions; set aside. In another large bowl, combine the flour and milk until smooth. Add cheese and bacon; mix well.
Shape cheese mixture into 36 balls. Shape one beef portion around each cheese ball. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Place cracker crumbs in another bowl. Dip meatballs into egg, then coat with crumbs.
In a large skillet, cook meatballs over medium heat in oil for 10-12 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink and coating is golden brown. Yield: 3 dozen.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished