Monday, August 15, 2011

Back to School- Crayon Wreath

I'm officially back to school this week. As sad as I am to see summer go, I'm looking forward to a new school year.  To kick off back to school I'm focusing on classroom DIY creations this week on the blog. I'm starting things out with a crayon wreath.  

I've seen a few of these wreaths popping up on Pinterest over the past few months.  I had searched high and low for a tutorial, but didn't have much luck.  I believe the original idea was from Hobby Lobby, but I couldn't find step by step directions.  So, I played around and after many, many failed attempts I found a way that worked.  I bought two embroidery hoops, one smaller than the other.  I lined up the hoops and placed my crayons around the outside.  After I had lined everything up I started gluing (hot glue).  The key that I found was to line up the ends of the crayons while gluing.  My goal was to keep the bottom ends of the crayons together and form a circle as I glued.  The tops of the crayons will be separated, but not by much. I glued about 2 boxes of crayons around the wreath.  When I was finished, I made a bow for the top.  This covered/ hid the nails that were in the top of the embroidery hoop. I hot glued the bow on in the top center of the wreath.  After that, I took coordinating ribbon and hot glued a loop to the back of the wreath.  This is what I will use to hang the wreath.  Last, I bought 2 wooden already painted apples from Michael's.  I used the Sharpie paint pens to write my last name and room number  I hot glued them to the wreath for the perfect finishing touch.  







2 comments :

  1. So cute!! What a fun teacher wreath...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing this for a teacher friend of mine and I mentioned this post on my blog @ http://peeweesnpinwheels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished