Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Carrot Cake Cupcakes (Light)




I found a recipe for carrot cake bars in the June issue of Fitness magazine.  I wanted treats to pass out on the first day of school and I had leftover carrots from my carrot, coconut & walnut bread.  So, I decided to try this "healthier" recipe and make them into cupcakes to share with my coworkers.  Below you will find the recipe from the magazine.  I followed all directions, except I used store bought frosting.  Loved the way these came out and will be making these again this fall. 



 Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • ¾ cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
  • 7 egg whites slightly beaten (1 cup)
  • ½ cup applesauce
  • ½ cup canola oil
  • 3 cups finely shredded carrot
Frosting Ingredients:
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees & coat a 15 x 10 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Stir together dry ingredients.
  3. Spread batter into the prepared pan & bake until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean…about 25-30 minutes.
  4. Cool completely!
  5. Frosting: beat together powdered sugar & cream cheese until smooth & spread over cooled cake.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished