Monday, August 29, 2011

Burrito Casserole

I recently subscribed to Family Circle magazine through a great deal I found on Coupon Divas. I've received a few issues already and am very pleased with my purchase. This is one of the recipes I ripped out and placed in my binder. I pulled it out last week because I wanted to make something that would give Mr & I lots of leftovers for the week.  Mission accomplished with this recipe.  We both had lunch for 4 days with the leftovers.  I did make a few changes, which I noted below.  Enjoy! 


Ingredients
  • packages (8.8 ounces each) fully cooked brown rice (such as Uncle Ben's)
  • jar (15 1/2 ounces) salsa
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • can (15 ounces) refried beans
  • package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
  • 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat taco-cheese blend
  • packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (I used 1 package)
  • tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • I added 2 cups of cubed cooked chicken
  • 3 TBS sour cream

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine rice, salsa and oregano. In a second bowl, combine refried beans, chicken, corn, chile powder and cumin.

2. Coat a 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread half of the rice mixture evenly in dish. Layer refried bean mixture and half the cheese over the rice. Scatter spinach over cheese. Top with remaining rice mixture and cheese.

3. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days. I made mine in one night

4. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes or until internal temperature registers 140 degrees F. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving and add a dab of sour cream to the top. 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished